Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tulum - our small piece of paradise

Until our relaunch of the new www.tulumliving.com- You can see the Tulum Events Calendar here!!!!!

Come and LOVE Tulum.

Tulum Living Events Calendar

September 11, 2009

Charlie's Restaurant -Bar and Gallery ***

Charlies restaurant, bar and gallery sit in the middle of Tulum pueblo on the main avenue of Tulum. This is a very lively spot that has as much activity bustling inside of it as there are color that surround it.

With the front part of the restaurant right on the main Avenue it is a great spot for people watching. But if you are looking for a more secluded time, step further back into the restaurant to the open courtyard and art gallery in the back.

This part of the restaurant is where all of the action can be seen for the wonderful performances that come through. Flamenco performances are common here in the busier season and are a real treat to see. During the slow season there is a little bit less action unfortunately but Charlie's is always a good time.

One of my favorite things about Charlie's is that it is so easy to wait for people who are coming to town on the ADO bus. The ADO bus station is right next door to Charlie's. With the buses never having an exact timing- I always tell people to meet me at Charlie's. That way I can sit there and enjoy a drink and a snack and wait for them in comfort instead of just sitting in the bus station. And on the flip side, if my friend gets in early then they can sit and relax while they wait for me to show up.

The food at Charlie's covers the spectrum of Mexican cuisine. Not a huge amount of surprises. The food is usually pretty good. There are a number of things that I wish had a lot more spice but I think that is a side effect of living in the Yucatan and getting used to putting hot sauce on EVERYTHING. The guacamole is not my favorite. It is more cream than I like. I am once again a little picky on this. I like my guacamole very chunky and with very few ingredients. But I also only need to make enough for my family so that probably makes a difference.

The ambiance at Charlie's is one of the best in town. With a remarkable collection of artwork all over the walls, you cannot step into Charlie's and feel sad. The colors and the life of the place simply will not allow for it.

I love getting a margarita (served in the appropriate short and thick glass- rather then the atrocious and garish huge fish bowl.) These margaritas are well made, and strong. This is one of me favorite places to grab a margarita.

Also the sopa de Lima is great. My kids love it and it has a ton of flavor. the fish dishes here are great and I cannot wait to try some more of the food. If you like your food hotter I would ask them to bring you some hot salsa. The salsa at the table is great as well.


Right in the center of Tulum town right next to the ADO. a fantastic spot for life music, amazing art work, killer margaritas, and really great people. A trip to Tulum is always improved by a trip to Charlies.

No comments:

Post a Comment