Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tulum - our small piece of paradise

Until our relaunch of the new www.tulumliving.com- You can see the Tulum Events Calendar here!!!!!

Come and LOVE Tulum.

Tulum Living Events Calendar

November 30, 2009

Om Restaurant on Tulum Beach ***


I had a fantastically wonderful time recently having dinner at Om on Tulum beach. This dinner was especially fantastic because I was meeting up with people from Tulum.info. This is a great forum on Tulum and is full of people who really love Tulum. So armed with some great friends we headed down the beach road. Om sits toward the south end of the beach road and is a nice and easy drive.

There are a lot of places on the beach road and some of them really do look a lot alike and have the same sort of ambiance. But Om has really created a very different feel and you can notice it from the very beginning at the entrance from the road. The peaceful ambiance is accented by the large Buddha fountain at the front entrance and the calming bridge and pathways that lead to the rooms and the beach front restaurant.


I have not had the opportunity t o stay or visit friends staying at this hotel but I did see the rooms and they are very well appointed. Going with general theme of the Rivera Maya the rooms are simple and clean-lined with accents of color and local crafts and art. The use of organic materials creates a beautiful harmony with the beach and lush jungle that surround it.


The restaurant is very beautiful. The large open palapa can be closed off in the case of heavy winds and provides fantastic views of the beach and the crashing waves. The large pieces of red fabric that flow above the restaurant create a royal and powerful ambiance that I really liked.


I did enjoy the margaritas which were served in the correctly sized small glass rather then that huge thing that sometimes comes to the table. The owner was there and was, as always, a great entertainment. I really enjoyed sitting with him, my new and my old friends at such a beautiful dinner.

There are a few things that stuck out as far as dishes went. The first was the fish and chips. The fish was in large sections that had a coating to die for. And everyone loves a well done french fry and proper catsup- which can be hard to find sometimes. There were a few great pizzas on the table and that is what this restaurant is known to do well.

One of my friends ordered this beautifully wrapped/stuffed chicken breast. It looked incredible. I am pretty sure it had chaya (a Yucatecan version of spinach) and cheese and I am sure a little more.

There were a few shrimp dishes, one with Thai sweet chili sauce. This was a little too candy tasting for me but that is more me then anything. I cook a lot with Thai chili sauce and do it to my own liking so when it is done by someone else then it is usually too sweet for me. My friend loved her food- in fact- Everyone loved their food.

The highlight- besides the amazing margaritas, decadent food and wonderful friends... was the pizza nutella. This dessert is rich and wonderful. A light and perfectly cooked wood oven pizza crust slathered in rich and yummy nutella and served with some roasted nuts and wonderful tropical fruit preserves.

There is nothing greater (in my opinion) then friends and food. This is a combination that makes me so happy. And this night was full of all of my favorite things. I am so happy that I finally got to put names and faces together and eat such amazing food.


Evangelo is a truly gracious host and a wonderful person and it was so great to spend time with him and the Tulum.info crowd. If you are traveling in Tulum and want to check out www.Tulum.info there is a wealth of information from people who have been to Tulum and want to share the good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment