Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tulum - our small piece of paradise

Until our relaunch of the new www.tulumliving.com- You can see the Tulum Events Calendar here!!!!!

Come and LOVE Tulum.

Tulum Living Events Calendar

October 26, 2010

Ginger- Stunning food in Tulum Pueblo ***

Gourmet food in Tulum might not be what you would expect but it is what you can find. For my 5 year wedding anniversary we wanted to go a special dinner in Tulum. My husband and I have always loved food and the fancier the better. Well, I had wanted to go to Ginger since first moving to Tulum but had not gotten the chance in their first location. I was thrilled when I heard that it had reopened.

First I must say that I started my perfect evening with a great massage from my wonderful HEALER Friend Gina. And it was amazing. you can read more about it HERE.

Ginger is located just 1 block off the main avenue at the first round-a-bout- and it is a beautiful restaurant. A wide open space with clean lines and vibrant décor- this restaurant in Tulum would be easily at home in San Francisco or New York. Before I even get to the great food- one of the things that I love about Ginger is their support of local artists and musicians. With expositions for local photographers and artists- the local talent of Tulum creates an amazing space at Ginger.

Just the other day I heard that a very talented musician, Tasha was playing there and I have seen a number of facebook notes of great stuff happening at Ginger. They also have a ladies night and this place makes every lady feel like a queen and 2 for 1 drinks- is just icing on the cake. I am hoping they get on the calendar soon so I can know about all of the great things they are doing. I do not want to miss anything at this wonderful restaurant in Tulum.


I went to this spot a while back with a girlfriend of mine that was visiting and we had the amazing salad with goat cheese and strawberries. It was well- amazing. We also had the tropical civiche. Although not the traditional civiche which I love too- this one used more tropical fruits and was the perfect sweetness to work with the fish.

For this special night- we got all dressed up and headed to Ginger. I was very excited. This was my husbands first time seeing the location and he remarked how easily this could be in SF. I totally agree.
To start we ordered the Goat Cheese Tart. Something I had my eye on since the last time I was here. Although, I admit, it was hard not to get the fresa salad again. We also ordered a bottle or red wine that we had not yet tried.


Before the appetizer came, they brought us some bread and this amazing marinated oil. I am not sure what is in this oil- but it is great. We can tell that there are chilies and garlic and many other wonderful spices- but not exactly sure what. Knowing that the food was going to be amazing- we made sure not to fill up on bread- I do not care how good the oil is- the food is worth the wait.



The tart was as good as it sounded. It was perfect with the wine that we had chosen and we were off to a good start. While we waited for our entrées we enjoyed looking at the artwork on the walls. I love it when restaurants feature local artists and have it for sale. I have found some of my favorite artwork at restaurants on my travels. And here you are going to find amazing pieces of art for a great price and what more perfect memento of your vacation then a piece of art.

For our meals, I ordered pasta with shrimp sautéed in garlic and chili. It was perfect. I love shrimp and many times when I order the it the shrimp gets over cooked. That is not good. The chef at Ginger was amazing. The food was cooked perfectly with just the right blend of spices. And there was a great amount of shrimp in my dish. It is never fun to fish for fish on your plate.

My husband ordered the Filet Mignonin a red wine sauce. He was a little reluctant at first because sometimes a cut of meat is on the menu but it is not what is on your plate. Plus the price for this was great. But we had great confidence in this restaurant and we were proven right. The cut of meat was wonderful. It was in fact a filet mignon and was cooked perfectly. And such a thick cut is easy to do wrong. The sauce was also amazing and complimented the meat perfectly


We would have ordered dessert here but 1 thing my husband and I do on our dates is restaurant hop for courses. So dessert was going to be in town. But I cannot wait to go back and try 1 of the desserts. If the rest of the food in any indication – it will be amazing. I always love it when a chef comes out to talk to a table. Especially when the restaurant is quite. It really takes your dining experience to another level and I think it shows that the restaurant and the chef genuinely care how you like the food and want to know your opinion.

I have not even gotten to the best part.

When we got our bill we were floored. We ordered a nice bottle of red wine, an appetizer, and 2 nice entrees and our bill was like 800 pesos! I could not believe it. A great prices and for the food you are getting!!!! WOW!!!! This is a spot to try. And what is great is that it is not a place that needs to be fancy. We were and did not feel out of place. I came here with a girlfriend the other day in jeans and a t-shirt and easily fit in. It really is perfect for all occasions.

While you are in Tulum, or if you live here- you really need to check thi

No comments:

Post a Comment